Day 2 of NXNE was a non-stop rollercoaster of weird and wonderful, and that’s coming from just one man’s experience. As you can see in the photo gallery above a whole lot of music was to be had from all across the map.
Whether it be the beautiful reserved tones of The Weather Station at The Great Hall, the jazz-hiphop-rock-infused jams of BadBadNotGood, the wall of noise and squall of A Place to Bury Strangers or the flawless hiphop via horns style of PitchBlak Brass Band, it was a great evening. BadBadNotGood even brought a ‘family member’ on stage for the very first time, Heavy the Cat.
Covers were the source of some of the best moments of the fest thus far, with BadBadNotGood covering Feist’s ‘Limit to Your Love’ and PitchBlak Brass Band paying tribute to the king of pop with a great rendition of ‘Rock With You’ which had people literally jumping out of their seats to dance.
Friday is day three of the fest and there are plenty of acts worth coming out for, including Montreal’s own Plants and Animals. The band today released this short but sweet music video for ‘H.C.’ from The End of That, which I reviewed earlier this year. In this animated short/music video, director Aimée van Drimmelen employs hand drawn imagery and looped Super 8 footage to create some beautiful visuals.
Best of luck deciding which of the following to see for day 3 of NXNE:
- Eight And A Half @ Yonge Dundas Square, 7:30PM
- Plants and Animals @ Yonge Dundas Square, 8:30PM
- Hooded Fang @ Silver Dollar Room, 10PM
- DIIV @ Lee’s Palace, 10PM
- Art Vs Science @ The Garrison, 10PM
- Bass Drum Of Death @ Wrongbar, 10PM
- The Black Belles @ The Legendary Horseshoe Tavern, 11PM
- Parlovr @ Silver Dollar Room, 11PM
- Friends @ Lee’s Palace, 11PM
- Dearly Beloved @ Velvet Underground, 11PM
- METZ @ Wrongbar, 11PM
- Doldrums @ The Garrison, 11PM
- Phedre @ Sneaky Dee’s, 12AM
- The Men @ Wrongbar, 12AM
- Yamantaka//Sonic Titan @ The Garrison, 12AM
- Andre Williams & the Sadies @ The Legendary Horseshoe Tavern, 12AM
- Widowspeak @ The Garrison, 1AM
- John Maus @ Lee’s Palace, 1AM